Thursday, September 19, 2013

Returning to Belize After a Great Summer

What a great summer we had here in Belize.  School got out for the children the last of June and it was time to sprint toward the finish line planning for the 2013 Teacher training Conference (TTC.)  We started planning back in November but the conference began in late July so all the last minute details needed to be finished up.  We were really unsure how many Belizean teachers would be coming into the beautiful Jaguar Creek facility to collaborate with the US volunteers.

The first week brought us about 55 middle school teachers (called upper division here) and we were off sharing reading, writing, math and science workshops.  Our volunteers were fabulous and worked so hard not to just teach but to connect personally with our participants. Some relationships were renewed and lots of new relationships were forged.  We felt ready for the second week.

To our surprise a total of about 165 teachers came for second and third weeks!  Our preschool school through standard 3 (similar to grade 5) teachers were kept busy learning about calendar, shared and guided reading, math centers, hands on science and the writing process.  Afternoons were full of electives on prayer, physical education and a whole host of other fun things to do to engage the students in learning.  Everyone, volunteers and participants worked and played hard together.  What an adventure!!!

Then it was off to the staff retreat in California.  We really enjoyed sharing stories and dreams between the on the ground Belizean folk and the supportive stateside folk. Lots of time for spiritual renewal and future planning.  And a few days in the sunshine did us all good.  Then I was off to Colorado to spend time with friends and family. 

But this blog is about returning to Belize! Upon my arrival, I was off to visit and reconnect with the schools and friends.  I enjoyed the kids running up and squeezing me tight.  I loved having my three young women (who live with me part time) sharing about the start of their school year and I have enjoyed hearing from new friends welcoming me back.  

What I really am amazed with is the excitement of teachers and administrators to get back to work.  I have been home three days and have heard from a number of teachers wanting assistance in their classrooms.  I have a meeting with a teacher who wants to develop and provide workshops with me. I have met with two administrators and have 2 additional meetings scheduled. I will also be meeting with area supervisors early next week. This is such a blessing as about this time last year, I felt very lost and alone. 

I am so blessed by the work that everyone did this summer at the TTC and actually everyone who has partnered with PathLight.  I feel that everyones' support and hard work has given our work additional credibility here in the Belmopan area and I am excited to be on the ground floor!

Please continue to pray and support the work happening here with the PathLight International team.  Between sponsoring deserving students, hosting hardworking volunteer teams and training caring and curious teachers, we are all having a positive, sustainable impact on this nation. 

Marti

P.S.  For you nature lovers... Sulema and I captured a Christ lizard (known to walk on water) running through our house today!! Oh and the termites have been eating my closet so had to get that torn out and fixed!  Life sure can be amazing down here!






1 comment:

  1. All the reports about the Teacher's conference have been so wonderful! Thanks for the daily reports which also served as great prayer reminders! It was wonderful to see you briefly while you were home. I look forward to coming to Belize to share in your work there, hopefully in the not too distant future! Love you, Peggy

    ReplyDelete