Who would have known almost 18 years ago that this special
little puppy would fill my life with so much joy? Today, I made the decision that my little old
puppy, Toby, was ready for doggy heaven.
When I came to Belize, I knew that it was probable that I would lose him
here and I was right.
As you know, Mr. Tobyman would have turned 18 years old in
November. He was a snuggly puppy whose
favorite spot in Belize was on the one pillow I brought from home. He settled in well once we moved into our
house at #2 Baboon Avenue here in Belmopan.
But he was old and life was mostly about sleeping.
About four days ago I saw a change in the quantity of food
he was eating (he always had a pretty healthy appetite for a 7 lb. pup.) I could not get him to eat anything the last
couple days and he stopped drinking yesterday morning. After many tears and prayers, I realized that
even if I could get him through this illness, he was not really living a full
life anymore.
An incredibly empathetic veterinarian and I held and petted little
Toby as he slowing drifted off to sleep and eventually passed. I told him that he was going to see my little
Maggie dog.
I am very sad yet sure that a compassionate decision was
made. I know that he will be missed by
not only me but by many of you. Thank
you for caring. I miss my little
Tobester.
So sorry to hear about loosing Toby. Pets are so hard to loose after years of companionship and loyalty. May you be comforted by your memories of him.
ReplyDeleteoops, this is Kelley :) Unfamiliar with responding to blogs!
DeleteMarti, so sorry to hear about Toby. Know that he was happy to be with you to start your new chapter. He knew he could go home once you were settled. Pets are such great sources of joy in our life. You are in my prayers. Rebekha
ReplyDeleteAs much as is possible in a situation like this, I share your sorrow. I know how much Toby meant to you and am very sorry that he is gone. Praying for you now Marti.
ReplyDeleteRandy
Marti - I am so sorry you lost your little buddy, Toby. But how great that he lasted long enough to see you settled in your new home and ministry. I pray the Lord will fill the void for you in ways you can't even imagine. Love you, friend. Peggy
ReplyDeleteMarti - I am so sorry about Toby's passing. I know how hard it is to lose a dog that has been with you for so long. I know it doesn't bring much peace now, but think of Toby up in doggy heaven with Maggie, Kanga, and Roo running around and getting into all kinds of mischief. I will be setting up my Skype account soon, so we can talk more. Hang in there and let me know if you need anything - Lisa
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear of Toby's passing, but also happy that be made sure you were settled in. Do you already have Skype? I love & miss you much: )
ReplyDeleteLeigh
Oh Marti- I can imagine what a rough time this is for you right now. My Doogle is one of my children as well. I am so sorry for the pain that you are going through. However, I know he is with Maggie girl and am glad to hear his mommy was with him when he passed. Below is a quote that I typed up and framed with a photo of our family dog, Scooter when he when to Heaven. I hope you love it as much as I do...
ReplyDeleteA Dog's Purpose- From a 6 Year-Old
"People are born so that they can learn to live a good life, right? Well, dogs already know how to do that so they don't have to stay as long."
Sorry to hear about Toby. He was such a cutie! I remember the day you got him... I was so jealous:) Love and prayers, Mary
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your loss Marti I know my heart grieves for every lost pet of mine. I always thank God for my 4 legged companions and believe there is a special place for them. Take care Marti and I miss you - Stephanie
ReplyDeleteBe sure to take a moment everyday day and see Belize, it's people, nature and animals through Toby's eyes. Simple skills that help you enjoy where you are in life.
ReplyDeleteRegina
I saw Gaylynn last week and she told me about Toby. I am so sorry for your loss. Dogs take up such a HUGE and special part of our hearts. I saw a picture of Toby and he reminds me so much of our own little Maltese, Maddie. Please know that we are thinking of you and wishing you good thoughts. Now that I have your blog connection, I will try to stay in touch more often. Take care, love, and best wishes Jackie and Joey
ReplyDeleteMarti,
ReplyDeleteI was so sorry to hear about your Toby! Having lost my Toby last October, I can only imagine how much you miss him! I love the story Dog Heaven by Cynthia Rylant. I just read it again for you and Toby. Please know that you are both in my thoughts and prayers. I am picturing Toby in heaven with God. One of my favorite pages from Cynthia's book is where it says that God has a sense of humor so he makes dog biscuits in funny shapes for his dogs, There are kitty-cat biscuits and squirrel biscuits. Ice cream biscuits and ham sandwich biscuits.Every angel who passes by has a biscuit for a dog. Toby was a wonderful companion and friend. I know he'll sneak down here to earth every once in a while to check on you and make sure you are OK... May the peace that passes all understanding find its way into your heart. Much Love, Janet